Legal professionals at BDS Legal Services, will provide the highest quality research within a short timeframe and at a fraction of the traditional costs. Most importantly, our Intellectual Property support services are tailored to meet the individual requirements of each client. Depending on your specific needs, BDS Legal Services will conduct multi-level searches and list the most relevant results.
A geographical indication is a sign which is used on products that have a specific geographical origin and possess qualities or a reputation that are due to that origin. Geographical Indication is primarily granted to agricultural, natural, manufactured, handicraft originating from a definite geographical territory.
Article 22 of the TRIPS Agreements defines Geographical Indication as “indications which identify a good as originating in the territory of a Member, or a region or locality in that territory, where a given quality, reputation or other characteristic of the good is essentially attributable to its geographical origin”.
Top reasons why you need to register your Geographical Indications:
- Registered geographical indications have the exclusive right to exploit or use the GIs’ products in the course of trade.
- The authorized users are allowed to issue infringements.
- It confers legal protection to Geographical Indications in India.
- Prevents unauthorized use of a Registered Geographical Indication by others
- It provides legal protection to Indian Geographical Indications which in turn boost exports.